Thursday, June 20, 2013

Walking to the Car Alone

They say to keep these single years as so precious.  The wise people in our lives and the married people in our lives say it.  Married people, the ones I know anyway, have told me that marriage is wonderful, but the single years gives the single girl so much freedom.  Paul writes in 1 Corinthians that it really is better to remain single if you can, because a spouse takes up a lot of energy and time.  Right now, I have hours upon hours at my disposal, to serve people, serve the church and work on the dreams God has placed upon my heart.  I love it, I love this time in my life and I am not out looking for a permanent significant other.


Yet, there is the reality of walking to the car alone.


Sometimes, at night, I do have to walk through a dark area without protection.  I just walk fast and look around a lot.  Other times, it’s broad daylight, and no matter how heavy that box is, I need to find a way to get it to my car.  Or I’ve just been to a great event and I want to talk about everything that just happened.  There are sometimes when bad things happened at the event and I want to talk through how that went.  How I could have dealt with things better and feedback from someone I trust.  However, when I get into the car and shut the door it’s silent, because I am alone.


Loneliness is an interesting thing to think about.  Sometimes in life, as a single girl, I can honestly say that I feel lonely.  With my finances spilled across the table I have to make these decisions ultimately alone.  I have to face the day and put on a brave face all the time.  I know I am not the only one, there are hundreds of thousands of Christian single young adult girls across the country with the same quiet courage.  The courage to remain pure and single, to keep their hands busy with the work of the Lord until the time is right for marriage.


Actually when it comes down to it I am not alone.  This might sound cheesy, but it’s true - I have Jesus with me.  I get into the car and start pouring out my heart to Him all the time.  Before I begin my finances I whisper a prayer, “Please help me figure this out, Lord.” When the box is too heavy, then I take things out and make a few trips.  Someday a husband will lead me, hep me talk things through and be there to lift my box.  However, he will also teach me by challenging me, thinking differently than me and expecting hard things for me.  But, I am not worried about it because that season is for that season.


This season is for this season.


These single years are so very precious, it’s true.  I just want to quietly applaud the single Christian girl and tell her, “I am with you in this!” I am doing it too.  We aren’t alone, we have each other in spirit as single girls.  No, none of us are truly walking to our cars alone, the reality of it is that we have God there. We are doing just fine by His amazing love.

No comments:

Post a Comment