Sunday, February 9, 2014

The Heart of a Single Parent: Part One...A Dad's Heart

The Lord really put it on my heart to examine the heart of a single parent. The walk of a single parent through the joys and challenges that they go through.  This week begins a three part series, the first one is from Osa Mcdonald on the Heart of a Single Day...enjoy...









I am a single father, and both of my children currently are suffering the consequences of my failures as they are being raised in broken homes. They both live with their mothers, but I make every effort to be as involved in their lives as I possibly can. I see my daughter nearly every day, and she stays the night with me a couple days a week. My son doesn’t like to stay with me because he is 12, and has his own routine at home
 

I know that my son is at the age that he is ready for me to really disciple him, and help him grow into the man God made him to be. I must be diligent to pour into his life, and thankfully his mother desires for me to do so. Being a father is a huge responsibility before God, and I know that He will hold me accountable for how I manage this great task. Just as my son needs me to disciple him and teach him how to be a man, I know that my role in my daughter’s life is just as important. She needs my love and affection.

 

I am setting the standard, and raising the banner for my children. The world is so concerned about our children’s education, their self-esteem, and their future ability to earn an income that the most important things are absolutely ignored. Is there really anything greater we can teach our children than the knowledge they need for salvation, character, and what life and love should look like?

 

There are times that the weight of what they are going through is heavy on my heart. Right now they are so confused about what love is, about what family should be, about what the roles of a wife and mother are, and the roles of what a father and husband are. My heart breaks even as I type this. I know what the answers are. I know what it should look like. However, in God’s great wisdom He has determined that this is the plan for now.

 

I know that tomorrow isn’t even promised though. Each day I rest in the sovereignty and great love of the living God. I know that if I will lay my life down to Him in Jesus name that He will show Himself powerful on my behalf. My children are worth dying for. I am willing to trust the Lord and lay down my life. I believe the promises God makes. Not only do I believe them, but I see His hand in their lives. There is no doubt that God is present in my family.

 

“As for Me,” says the Lord, “this is My covenant with them: My Spirit who is upon you, and My words which I have put in your mouth, shall not depart from your mouth, nor from the mouth of your descendants, nor from the mouth of your descendants’ descendants,” says the Lord, “from this time and forevermore.”

-Isaiah 59:21

 

The desires of my heart are to be married, preferably to my daughter’s mother, and to have a family that glorifies God. God has demanded me to continue to love my daughter’s mom as Jesus loves the church. Not only do I feel as though He loves her enough to expend my life to reach her, but I know that everyone is watching. The people on the outside want to see what God has done in me, and if He is true, and my children are watching as I show them what a man is called to do. I know that I am the one who is responsible for my family before God, and I do not take my role lightly. A man’s family is his number one ministry.

 

Faith without works is dead. Jesus says that “only one thing is needed”. I believe Him. I have tried my hardest to make my life and family be what I knew it could on my own, and I failed miserably. I do not want to fail, nor do I want any more regrets. I stand before my God in humility, and cry out to Him day and night to make good on His promises as I follow Jesus for all that I am worth. Only He can do what I cannot. I am but a man.  ~Osa  McDonald

 

And Jesus answered and said to her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things. But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her.”

-Luke 10:41-42

 

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.”

-Matthew 6:32-33

 

Meditate on these things; give yourself entirely to them, that your progress may be evident to all. Take heed to yourself and to the doctrine. Continue in them, for in doing this you will save both yourself and those who hear you.

-1 Timothy 4:15-16

 

“For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him. In this you have done foolishly; therefore from now on you shall have wars.”

-2 Chronicles 16:9

 

No comments:

Post a Comment